Wednesday, March 30, 2011

When you put it that way

I've already read Why We Get Fat: And What To Do About It by Gary Taubes, the layman's version of Good Calories, Bad Calories, so the following sentence from Paleo 2.0 A Diet Manifesto should have come as no surprise to me:


My own diet, due to hubris and the belief that I had “good genes”, had thankfully never been deficient in eggs, red meat, butter or bacon. They had tried to teach us that “cholesterol” was something to fret about when I was in medical school, but even my undergraduate and medical school biochemistry at the time made that seem only vaguely plausible. Hadn’t humans been eating meat for millions of years?
Oddly enough however, this was the first time I'd seen a defense of cholesterol approached from this angle. Typically the argument points to the relatively new addition of grains and refined carbohydrates to the human diet as the culprit for skyrocketing rates of Type Two Diabetes, Obesity and Heart Disease which, by implication, clears saturated fats and cholesterol of guilt. But it wasn't until I saw this other side of the coin that the safety of dietary cholesterol was finally settled in my mind. Of course this safety comes with a caveat; if healthy fats are consumed along with grains, sugar and starches, all bets are off.

No comments:

Post a Comment