Sunday, April 3, 2011

Baking & breaking bread on Family day

I started my bread bright and early this morning. Ok, so it wasn't actually early but it was actually quite bright. I used a very simple recipe that made four one-pound loaves and here are the remaining three plus the last two slices of the fourth in all their glory.

I do believe that this is the best bread I've ever made. The flavor and texture were both just right; that is to say, the flavor was mild and the texture was light. I had several pieces slathered with butter and it's all I can do to keep from slicing up another loaf and having lunch early but I am determined to take it slow since this is the first wheat I've had in about three months.

It was thrilling to use my NutriMill and my Bosch again. While the bread was rising I strained the chicken stock I'd been cooking in the crock pot for the last two days so between milling my own flour, baking my own bread and straining the chicken stock I'd been cooking for two days, I was feeling like quite the little Betty Crocker this morning.

On the agenda for this afternoon? Homemade cleaners! Below is the bread recipe that I used and I've added notes in parenthesis to specify what I used. Also, I used a Bosch mixer, not the Kitchen Assistant.

The Bread Beckers Bread & Rolls

1-1/2 cups hot water
1 cup cold milk (raw, unpasteurized)
1/3 cup oil (olive)
1/3 cup honey (organic, raw, unpasteurized)
3 eggs

4-1/2 tsp instant yeast (SAF)
6 to 7-1/4 cups freshly milled flour (I ended up using 8 cups that were a blend of half hard red and half hard white wheat berries)
1 Tbsp salt (sea salt)

Combine water, milk, oil, honey and eggs in the bowl of the Electrolux Assistent.  Add yeast and about 5 cups of the flour.  Mix on medium speed until well blended. Add the salt. Continue to mix adding the flour 1/2 cup at a time.  Bring the Assistent's  arm into the center and out a few times between each addition of four.  When the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl enough flour has been added.  Lock the roller about 1/2" from the side of the bowl (or more if you double or triple the recipe).  Turn the speed to high and allow to knead 8-10 minutes, or until the dough, forms a smooth ball .  Let rise until double.  With a single or double batch, you may let the dough rise in the bowl. With a triple recipe, turn the dough out onto a floured surface to let rise.

After rising, form into loaves or other shapes using any of the variations that follow.

I like to braid my loaves.  To braid, divide the dough for one loaf into three pieces and roll into ropes.  Braid, tucking the ends under. Place in greased loaf pan.  Let rise until at least double in size.  Bake loaves at 350o for 25-30 minutes.  Recipe makes 3 medium size loaves or about 30 dinner rolls.

*Note: One package of yeast is about 2-1/2 tsp. of yeast.  With instant yeast you do not need to sprinkle the yeast over the liquids. You may add it with the flour.

3 comments:

  1. The loaves look great, Lorri. Which Nutrimill do you own? That is on our list for this year. We'll probably be ordering it in the next couple months. I'm really looking forward to learning more about grinding our own flours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary - You know, I'm not sure what kind it is! There's nothing in the Manual or on the machine itself that says anything other than NutriMill. I'll post a picture of it on my Facebook page, maybe that will help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though it looks like it, this recipe did not taste like "wheat bread" it was just simply awesome bread.

    ReplyDelete