Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Mission accomplished

As you may recall, last week Trish, of the JustChickenScratch Blog, and I challenged ourselves to blog every day for seven days and as of last night, that mission has been accomplished! I had a lot of fun along the way and luckily never ran out of things to say (whether or not those things were interesting is an entirely other matter). Those of you who have known me for any length of time know that I rarely run out of things to say so you're not surprised but hopefully, you've been entertained.

Today is the start of another new week, even though the calendar says it's Tuesday, and new adventures loom on the horizon. My second batch of beef stock ala Nourishing Traditions is happily bubbling away on the stove, and will be for the next 24 hours, new breads are waiting to be made, new blog posts from some of my favorite bloggers are waiting to be read and there's a world of research out there just waiting to be Googled and consumed so...I'm off and running. Anyone want to come along?

3 comments:

  1. So, I noticed that you mentioned cooking your chicken stock for a couple days last week. And now your beef stock too... why do you cook it so long? (Yes, I realize that I could google for an answer, but I'm asking my local expert instead. hee hee)

    Should I be looking for a book called Nourishing Traditions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    In order to get the most gelatin, calcium and other micronutrients out of the bones as possible, you simmer stocks, or bone broths for 12 to 72 hours. I've never gone beyond 48 though. I make chicken stocks in the crock pot and beef and turkey stock in a huge stock pot. My husband is a lot more comfortable with the crock going all night long versus the gas stove so when I make the beef stock, I make a REALLY big batch.

    We feed our dog (yellow lab named Miller) the raw meaty bone diet and although the stock bones aren't raw, he always gets the marrow bones as a treat though the knuckles are too hard so we discard those. When I make chicken stock he gets the entire carcass once the broth is done because the cooked bones are super soft.

    And YES, I would highly recommend the Nourishing Traditions cookbook. I'll post a link to it along with the beef stock recipe that I'm using right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm there with you again...let's go for 2 weeks...naw I say a month.
    Good stuff in your corner Lorri, giving me a standard to shoot for.
    Love ya,
    -Trish

    ReplyDelete